Repairing my Sprinter 308D

• Hello all

So as maybe you all know now my van is damaged because of a fire... :oops:

So I need to repair it.
    I must change the side panel (wall) and one panel on the back.
    I'd like to ask for suggestions on how to work.
    Here I read that a 25mm panel is 5.5Kg/m2 so my wall is around 7m2 ok not so heavy <40Kg :D Is this correct?
    http://www.anhaenger-selbstbau.de/epages/6308021…roducts/SANDW25

So my questions are:
    How do you take the old wall down? Slide a cutter inside the Alu-profiles?
    How do you clean the glue?
    Then how do you install the new panel - just slide inside the alu-profile and glue with Sika 252 or Körapur 125 or other kind of polymer-glue?

Thanks very much, I've never done this kind of big repair... :oops:

• Hi kamaleon,

first thing: you can change the whole side, but you need not. You could cut the damaged parts of the side wall with a Fein multimaster, insert a new part (maybe from the firm of your link, maybe from an other firm) and glue it with SikaFlex 252. If your panels are realy laid with Alu, you could glue an Alu-plate overlapping onto the raw edge from the interiour as the exteriour.
    Afterwards you can glue new angle profiles between roof and new wall, bottom and new wall and side and back wall and your cabin may be as good as new.

Before doing the first cut it lokks like a very big repair, but it is manageable!

Best regards
    Leerkabinen-Wolfgang

die nächsten Festivitäten in http://www.Bodenheim.de:

03.-05.05.2024: Leerkabinen-Treffen

erstes Juni-WE (07.-10.06.2024): Weinfest - Stellplatz nicht nutzbar

dritter Sept.-Samstag (21.09.2024): Weinprobe in den WeinbergenStellplätze und V+E vorhanden! Bei Fragen eMail/PN an mich

• Thanks for giving me confidence my friend. :D I really need it and so I appreciate it!
    I didn't know the Fein multimaster, looks like a very compact multi-purpose angle-grinder? Looks nice.
    I think the panels that are available around here don't have any alu. Only polyester resin with fiberglass and inside, PU or PE, and gelcoat outside.
    So do you think a cutter is OK to slide inside the profile and cut away the glue and remove the panel?
    Another thing, which Sika (or another brand) is most appropriate? Because 252 is very expensive and hard to find around here. But if it's the right one, then no problemo I will get 252.

• Hi Kamaleon,

the whole cutout of the damaged wall could be done with the Fein-Multimaster. It's a angle-grinder too, but you can use it with the Fein sawblades. With these sawblades you can cut straight into the sandwich material without any rotation of the sawblade. It works with vibration, so you can cut forward or backward or straight into materials. The Multimaster is even delivered with a spattle. With these you will get the burned Alu profile clean.

I think the Urologe could tell you more about replacing the wall. His selfmade cabin did burn too cause of some heat accumulation while welding parts of the frame. Do you know how the fire started?

schöne Grüße
    Franz

• what is better: Sika 252 or 255?
    Also for doing this job how many cartridges do you think I need?
    Another question: Alu rivets or stainless steel rivets?
    Sorry for so many questions... :oops:

Zitat von FranzXaver

Do you know how the fire started?

Oops just realized I didn't understand this question of yours... sorry! So the fire started because the car that was parked next to my van was criminally burned... that's the reason why.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Mit einem Benutzerkonto kannst du das womobox Forum noch besser nutzen.
Als registriertes Mitglied kannst du:
- Themen abonnieren und auf dem Laufenden bleiben
- Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern direkt austauschen
- Eigene Beiträge und Themen erstellen