Cabin design for holliday car

• I'm considering buying an MB 310D 4x4 MWB for use for trips.

I want to be able to sleep in it when want to, but it should also work as regular car if possible.
    My design uses rear seats which can be moved forward and folded down.
    Thus they will work as benches when camping, and I can have my bed on it during night.
    I'll put my bed up along the wall and hang the table on it.

At the rear I want to have a corridor with bath facilities in one of the closets.
    Opening the two foremost doors closes the corridor, and I'll have a bathroom.
    During day our daughter can play there, and during night her bed can be on top of the wash basin.

Day

Night

If I can get foldable seats in front to, I can have my bed further forwards.
    I suppose that'll require rotation of the drivers seat due to the steering wheel.

In case my wife wants to go with us for camping, I'll need one more bed.
    If I make a wider bed it'll cover the side windows, so that'll not be ideal.
    If I fold the two beds together they'll be rather thick, resulting in to little room for the seats.
    Thus I suppose I'll have to fix the bed under the roof over the table.

Anyone having comments to my design?
    To complicated?

Anyone who'll share they're experiences with this kind of car with me?
    So far I'll only had a little test-drive with it.

Christian Brudevoll
    Norway

• Hi and welcome to the forum!

For a car like this I would use the front seats for the living room. There are consoles available so that you can turn the seats to the rear, then fix a table to the left wall and use a foldable double seat which is also a bed of 120...125cm width. These are available also crash tested so that you have 4 full seats in the car, but its bit expensive.
    I am talking about something like that: http://www.reimo.com/de/58281-vario…200_mm_polster/

Gruß, Holger

• Hi, Christian,

greetings to my favorite country! May I ask whicht part of Norway you are coming from?

To your comper-ideas: Holger has shown you a good possibility to use your camper as a 5-seater-car when equiped with the Reimo-bench an turnable front seats.
    In your plan the seats are to short and the table is to large - think of 55 to 60cm depth of the seats (including backrest) and 65 to 80cm for the table. So half of your door would be blocked out by the bench... And if you open the door while it is raining the bench would soak in water - not the best idea ;) I would prefer a smaller bench and would install maybe the cooling box at the right end of the door.
    With the Reimo-bench you do not need to have an especial bed, but if you prefer your idea I would advise an air bed as this one. If necessary you can blow it up every evening; not nice, but it spares the room for a large matress... And I like sleeping on this air bed: I'm using it whenever I have to stay in a hotel, too ;)

Best regards
    Leerkabinen-Wolfgang

die nächsten Festivitäten in http://www.Bodenheim.de:

03.-05.05.2024: Leerkabinen-Treffen

erstes Juni-WE (07.-10.06.2024): Weinfest - Stellplatz nicht nutzbar

dritter Sept.-Samstag (21.09.2024): Weinprobe in den WeinbergenStellplätze und V+E vorhanden! Bei Fragen eMail/PN an mich

• I'm from Drammen, living and working in Oslo for last 15 years.
    If you're planning to visit Norway, you're welcome to contact me.

I can't see the big benefit of using the front seats for living.
    Then the rear seats will stay as far back as while driving all the time, hence the door will be even more blocked.
    That design is used in James Cook sprinter where entrance to the kitchen is hard, and there's only two rear seats.
    http://www.campervan.es/web/westfalia-…k-2-8-td-122-cv

Using the inflatable madras will only gain if I deflate it when not in use.
    I'll be satisfied with 10cm madras, making the bed half as thick.
    In worst case I can use a stretcher, but they're not so comfortable.

I've updated the upper drawing with rear seats measuring 70x130cm.

In case of space problems for the rear seats, I can have three separate, removable seats instead.

I've put the cooling box in a drawer, using the free space at the entrance.
    I've also moved the wash basin to the other side, to make it simpler if I want common water system.

Here's a picture of how the interior looks today.

BTW, I could benefit from replacing the sliding door with one with hinges.
    The it'll not rain so much on the seats while camping, and especially closing it will be more silent.
    But i don't know if it'll be wort the effort.

• Hi, Christian,

I am not sure about the way you want to use your 3-seater-bench. While driving you have to use it with the backrest to the rear, while living with the backrest to the front (in order to sit at the table). Do you plan to remove and turn around the bench every time you change from driving to living and vice versa?
    I found another bench from fasp (model 505) which can be used together with the front seats as bed (min width 95cm, max. width 122cm) - and fasp model 5000 with min. width of 90cm and max. width of 130cm. As far as I remember there has existed a bench similar to the fasp-bench model 500 at which you could turn the seat at 90° so you could use it as backrest and turn the backrest also at 90° to use it as seat. This allows the bench to be used in forward- and in backward direction. This only if you do not want to use the frontseats...

Your car is not the longest one, and if you can use the frontseats while staying you will win space in the rear. So I would strongly try to find a way to use the frontseats, too - and to abandon the especial bed you are planing.

About your offer: I've been in Norway three times three weeks and reached only Trondheim - there is left enough Norway to spend many more weeks... ;) And maybe I will contact you... :evil:

Best regards
    Leerkabinen-Wolfgang

die nächsten Festivitäten in http://www.Bodenheim.de:

03.-05.05.2024: Leerkabinen-Treffen

erstes Juni-WE (07.-10.06.2024): Weinfest - Stellplatz nicht nutzbar

dritter Sept.-Samstag (21.09.2024): Weinprobe in den WeinbergenStellplätze und V+E vorhanden! Bei Fragen eMail/PN an mich

• My idea is not to rotate the seats, only to lay down the back and sit on it as a bench.
    To make it comfortable I'll have to have a pillow on it and a pop-up back.
    The bench will be a little higher than the seats, so I might have to have something on the floor to rest the feet.

I've thought more about using the front seats when sleeping.
    That'll give me some more space, but on the other hand it'll be easier to see that it's a camper during night.
    We'll also a question about feelings, are we sleeping in a car or a hut? And isolation, of course.
    The best will be to have both possibilities.

Some of the reason for having a separate madras in stead of converting seats into bed, is sleeping comfort.
    A thin madras on top of a two-functional seat might be an alternative.

And you're right, Wolfgang, Norway is a long country.
    If you nail it in the south and rotate it, you'll get to the tip of italy.
    There's a lot of transportation of cars by train in Norway, basically from south to north.
    A possibility is to use the free capasity and send the car home by train.
    Myselfe I've not been north of Lofoten, where I vent by bike with a freiend.
    Then we took train Oslo-Bodø and boat Bodø-lofoten, a good combination.
    BTW, I think the nature is very nice at the coast from Trondheim to Bergen, excluding the area closest to Trondheim.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Mit einem Benutzerkonto kannst du das womobox Forum noch besser nutzen.
Als registriertes Mitglied kannst du:
- Themen abonnieren und auf dem Laufenden bleiben
- Dich mit anderen Mitgliedern direkt austauschen
- Eigene Beiträge und Themen erstellen